Monday 2 January 2012

Latin Names for this Years Herbs

An extra task from Sarah:

I'd like you all to go through your lists and double them so you have the common name on the
left hand side and the Latin name on the right.

Family
Common Name
Latin Name
ADOXACEAE
Elderberry
Sambuscus Nigra

Guelder Rose
Viburnum Opulus
ASPERAGACEAE
Solomon’s Seal
Polygonatum Multiflorum
ASTERACEAE
Calendula
Calendula Officinalis

Roman Chamomile
Anthemis Nobilis

Dandelion
Taraxacum Officinale

Mugwort
Artemisia Vulgaris

Yarrow
Achillea Millefolium
BORAGINACEAE
Comfrey
Symphytum Officinale
ERICACEAE
Bilberry
Vaccinium Myrtillus
HYPERACEA
St John’s Wort
Hypericum Perforatum
LAMIACEAE
Lemon Balm
Melissa Officinalis

Motherwort
Leonurus Cardica

Scullcap
Scutellaria Barbata
MALVACEAE
Marsh Mallow
Malvaceae
PLANTAGINACEAE
Plantain
Plantago Major
ROSACEAE
Blackberry
Rubus Fruticasus

Hawthorn
Cratag Monogyna

Meadowsweet
Filipendula Ulmaria
SCROPHULARIACEAE
Mullein
Verbascum Thapsus
URTICACEAE
Nettle
Urtica Diaca
VALERIA
Valerian
Valeriana Officinalis


There are a couple I’m not sure about:

1.       I will be using local bilberries which grow on the hills at the end of my back garden, the name of the common bilberry in Latin is Vaccinium Myrtillus but I have read that Cannock Chase is one of the few places in the world where a cross breed grows Vaccinium intermedium Rultie which is sometimes known as the Cannock Chase Berry so I need to investigate further to see which one I have.
Bilberry in flower

2.       Hawthorn, there I the Common hawthorn, Crataegus Monogyna, and a Midlands hawthorn, Crataegus Laevigata, I don’t know which I am using so will have to check this as well. The hawthorn berries by my allotment are larger and brighter red than those on the hills at home so maybe I have been using  both.
I have listed the family names as I thought it was interesting to see which plants were from the same families. Some of the Latin names give you a big clue as to the uses, Leonurus Cardica most obviously sticking out like a sore thumb as a cardiac herb when I have only really considered it as a ladies herb.

5 comments:

  1. so nice to meet you and will enjoy sharing this herbal journey with you! hugs from Leslie of Comfrey Cottages xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jackie, I am very curious about the Bilberry, I have them in the garden, but not many berries.
    Have a nice day
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your comments, lovely to be sharing our herbal journey together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello MGH, Lovely to meet you. Looking forward to enjoying this wondrous herbal voyage together. Although I'm waaaaaay behind, I have soooo much to learn. This is my first dabble . .. here's to many discoveries. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely to meet you too and to have someone to learn with :)

    ReplyDelete